Andy File Associates Limited is working as a Recruitment Agency on behalf of our client with regards this permanent position.
Our client is one of Great Britain and Ireland’s leading providers of post-harvest combinable crop technology for farmers and commercial operators. The business, established since 1999, has grown significantly and is well regarded throughout the agricultural industry.
The business continues to grow and improve, we recognise the development of our team is critical to our continued success. By 2026, we plan to offer our extensive portfolio of equipment supported by the comprehensive provision of services enabling us to design, build and maintain grain processing and storage systems for agricultural and commercial customers nationwide.
Essential to this plan is the appointment of a Group Operations Manager to lead our regional teams undertaking both new mechanical and electrical installations, product training and aftersales work nationwide from our regional depots.
The Group Operations Manager is a leadership role within the business, mentoring direct reports based across our three depots in Kelso, Scunthorpe and Marlborough ensuring the implementation of strategic aims and objectives.
Central to this is the development of the operational management systems and processes to improve job delivery, implement best practice and deliver an outstanding level of service to our customers throughout the service life of our equipment.
The role will be responsible for building and training of the team required to meet demand for mechanical and electrical installation of equipment and its ongoing maintenance nationwide. Additionally, the procurement and maintenance of the resources including, vehicles, tools and equipment, to meet demand.
The Group Operations Manager will be responsible for the commercial performance of jobs undertaken by regional teams, continuously monitoring and reporting on performance to the Leadership Team.
Skills and Experience
To succeed, the following skills are highly desirable:
- A degree in an engineering discipline
- Knowledge of undertaking electrical and mechanical engineering contracts and site processes
- Knowledge and understanding of the agricultural industry and/or the commercial food industry
- Experience in a senior management role with direct reports that manage larger teams
- A track record for the creation and performance management of teams spread across a small number of locations nationwide
- Technical knowledge and understanding to be able to support direct reports with specific job or project related challenges
- Thorough understanding of health and safety systems and responsibilities and comfortable taking a leadership role in this area, formal qualifications are desirable.
- Knowledge of quality systems and continuous improvement tools and experience improving processes based on performance, formal qualifications are desirable.
- Competent IT skills including MS Office and ERP systems
Additionally, the following are a requirement for this role:
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation
- Prepared to graft and ‘get mucky hands’ when the situation requires
- A natural problem solver, able to understand and explain complicated concepts effectively at all levels within the business
- Clearly demonstrable leadership qualities across remotely located teams, particularly for the 4/5 managers who will be direct reports
- An enquiring mind that seeks to both learn and share knowledge freely and openly
- A positive attitude and outlook are essential to success in this role, you will also need to be resilient and able to make difficult decisions.
The Group Operations Manager role is a new permanent role to the business and fulfilling the current strategic aims and objectives for the operations department is expected to be a three-year project. As the business is a fast-growing SME, expected to continue to grow both organically and by acquisition over the same period this will lead to the creation and opportunity for progression into a Group Operations Director role.
Our Client’s Values
Your values are as important than your qualifications and experience. The successful applicant will, above all else, be of outstanding character and attitude. This will ensure success in this role and the establishment of a long-term career in a growing business. Our values:
- We do the basics well – honest, respectful and selfless – these are non-negotiable
- We are problem solvers – practical, resourceful and creative – problems are opportunities
- We push on – determined, positive and enthusiastic – all day everyday
- We pull together – listen, communicate and co-operate – working for each other
- We never stop learning – constantly sharing our knowledge and experience
Remuneration and benefits
- Competitive salary of £65,000 – £85,000 per annum
- Contributory Company pension scheme with Royal London (employee 5%/employer 3%)
- Wellbeing programmes- Company paid
- Laptop and company phone provided
- Holiday increased from 28 to 33 days in fifth year of service
- Enhanced sick pay – starting from one week increasing to 10 weeks with 10-year service
- Company vehicle provided and business mileage
- Means of payment provided for all subsistence, business expenses and accommodation costs
- Issued with mobile phone, work wear and PPE
- Group life insurance provided (x3 salary)
- Extensive training provided including health and safety and product training