Andy File Associates Limited is working as a Recruitment Agency on behalf of our client with regards this permanent position.
- To work hard as part of a team handling EL/PL accident personal injury cases.
- The jobholder will be responsible for a caseload of employers and public liability claims from portal exit to settlement, within the personal injury department at our client’s Sheffield office.
- Working to achieve individual and team key targets and objectives, and ensuring compliance with SLAs.
- Building working relationships with clients and the Unions, and external third parties such medical agencies.
- Working with colleagues to develop a strong team ethic and deliver exceptional client service to those involved in personal injury claims.
Scope of the Role
- The jobholder will ensure they deliver excellent levels of client service throughout the progression of the case and will ensure they keep the client regularly updated, in line with department service level agreements.
- They will be responsible and accountable for ensuring they meet prescribed SLAs and individual targets, including financial and file progression/shelf life targets.
- Assisting with vetting of cases with other team members.
- To ensure that allegations of fraud, fundamental dishonesty or other complex issues or Multi Track claims are referred to the EL/PL Supervisor/ Head of Personal Injury as quickly as possible
- Case Management
- To draft pleadings, application notices, disclosure lists, witness statements, schedules of loss, brief to counsel, trial bundle index, case summary
- To complete internal forms for defence review, witness statement exchange and authority to proceed to trial
- To attend Court (personally or by way of telephone) and perform advocacy for Case Management Conferences, Application Hearings and Pre-Trial Reviews
- To value PI claims competently & utilising JSB guidelines/case law where appropriate; to effectively investigate, collate/calculate and present special damages claims (including future loss)
- To establish and focus upon issues/facts in dispute in the context of liability; to utilise case law where necessary; to make effective use of Part 36
- To appropriately involve the Team Manager on technical matters and operational issues where warranted
- Plan workload in order to anticipate and balance priorities
- Maintain an awareness of changes in legislation, practice and procedure
- Ensure that all correspondence and messages are dealt with appropriately, within prescribed SLAs, providing excellent client service
- Ensure that all clients, on all occasions, are treated with courtesy and dealt with expeditiously
- Work hard as a team player; being a committed and confident litigator.
- At the settlement of a claim, prepare the cost schedule to include all disbursements and negotiate costs with the responsible party
- Able to prioritise workload and take decisions commensurate to the role
- Able to comply with agreed process and best practice
- Demonstrates a highly structured and organised approach to handling cases
- Able to work flexibly as needed to hit set targets and deadlines
- Able to work with a considerable amount of detailed information
- A positive attitude and can-do approach
- Demonstrates self-motivation and a desire to learn, progress and develop
- Demonstrates a proactive and client-centric approach
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Experience in all aspects of EL/PL personal injury claims (commensurate with the scope of the role) including settlement and fast track litigation
- Experience of delivering against agreed targets
- Experience of working to deadlines
- Strong understanding of EL/PL scenarios and liability
- Strong understanding of current EL/PL PI Procedures and Rules
- Minimum 2 years of experience in EL/PL personal injury litigation claims
Technical skills and qualifications
- Solicitor, FILEX, or Litigation Fee Earner of similar experience
- Strong negotiation skills
- Good comprehension skills relating to the understanding of a range of documents related to a case
- Excellent telephone manner and verbal communication skills
- Able to collect and assess evidence, determine prospects, provide appropriate advice to clients, and progress the claim efficiently
- Ability to understand targets and how to achieve them
- Excellent knowledge of the civil procedure rules and tactics
- Competent use of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as general computer skills
- Experience of using a case management system
Working hours are 35 hours either 8am – 4pm or 9am – 5pm
- Holidays 25 with an extra day accrued for each year worked up to a maximum of 31 + Bank Hols
- Death in service – 2x gross salary
- Maternity/shared parental leave
- Study leave – 5 days
- Free parking
- Subsidised canteen
- Pension – standard workplace pension
- Simply Health – employer/employee contribution