Andy File Associates Limited is working as a Recruitment Agency on behalf of our client with regards this permanent position.
Our client is an award-winning Research & Development and Sustainable Technology business based in Bourne, Lincolnshire, a hybrid working model is also available for the right candidate if they live further afield with 2 days a week in office. The businesses have a focus on sustainability that sets them apart from competitors. They are a business with strong links in construction, a manager and developer of sustainable energy projects and an investor in sustainability focused R&D. They strive to demonstrate environmental best practice and sustainability not just in the projects they deliver for customers but also in their own business practices. They are pursuing environmental gains for the industry and society through their investment in research and development (R&D) projects that will benefit future generations.
Our client is looking for a smart and talented Research and Development Manager who can perform several important roles within our organisation. You will be responsible for research, planning, and implementing new programs and protocols into the company. You will also be required to oversee the entire development process of new products and programs within the organisation. Your active participation will be required from the initial planning phase to implementation or production. Additionally, you are required to keep track of all the costs related to the creation of these new products and decide what ideas are worth pursuing. You should also stay informed on what is happening in the research and development field at large to make sure the company is up-to-date and current with the most advanced R&D developments. The ideal candidate must have experience in delivering projects whilst having a real ‘winning’ mentality.
Being a strategic director for the delivery of products whilst managing R&D at an early stage. The research and Development Manager will have to use creative abilities and research methods to improve existing products based on industry trends and develop new products to meet the needs of the company’s target market. You are expected to report on any technical product issues that are discovered during evaluation and manage product testing and trials, assessing the materials used, the efficiency of the process, and the effectiveness of the final product. As an R&D Manager, you shall have two job roles – the primary role of a Product Development Leader and the mandatory secondary role of a Line Manager for R&D teams.
Responsibilities of an R&D Manager job include:
- Lead key projects with R&D to support business goals and the delivery of products into the marketplace.
- Develop research programs incorporating current developments to improve existing products and study the potential of new products.
- Understand customer expectations on to-be manufactured products.
- Determine and execute improved technologies used by suppliers, competitors, and customers.
- Support Director to hire and develop R&D personnel.
- Establish project goals and priorities by collaborating with Marketing and Operations.
- Transfer new technologies, products, and manufacturing processes into and out of the company.
- Research, design and evaluate materials, assemblies, processes, and equipment.
- Suggest training tools to enhance employee performance and skill development.
- Monitor team metrics and objectives ensuring meeting of goals.
- Document all phases of research and development.
- Manage customer relationships and perform RFP reviews, customer visits, and product testing.
- Establish and maintain testing procedures for assessing raw materials, in-process and finished products.
- Oversee complex research projects, analyse results, and provide recommendations based on findings.
- Assess the scope of research projects and ensure they are on time and within budget.
- Be present at industry conferences on research topics of interest.
The ideal candidate should have a higher level of education and skills ideally in science and/or business management. However, this is not essential. Ultimately, the main attribute we require would be someone who can ‘deliver results’ and strive to a high completion in the marketplace.
- Proven experience in a relevant role.
- A strong sense of creativity aids in the process of thinking of new product ideas and solving problems creatively.
- Great problem-solving skills.
- Ability to pay attention to details.
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills are also important.
- The ability to communicate well with customers, colleagues, and lower-level staff.
- Hands-on experience in managing or leading a team of employees.
- Ability to multitask efficiently and good at managing time.
- Good business sense.