Andy File Associates Limited are working as a Recruitment Agency on behalf of our client with regards this permanent position
Main Purpose of the Job:
Responsible to equity partners/accounts supervisor. Responsible for the operation, finance, quality performance of client related transactions in the Practice’s Account’s department. This is achieved through the effective handling and maintenance of the Client accounts with the appropriate support from Fee Earners / Secretaries / other Accounts Staff and the Practice Manager. Secondary duties as per the duties and responsibilities of the Legal Cashier Nominal Account, Legal Cashier LSC Accounts and Legal Cashier Credit Control.
Key Tasks and Duties:
Specific areas of responsibility:
- To be able to use the RBS (Royal bank of Scotland) electronic banking software (ROYLINE) for the electronic transmission of funds / reconciliation of accounts and administration.
- Validating and processing client related transactions onto the computer.
- When appropriate, the issuing of cheques from both Office and Client accounts, ensuring that they are signed by a Partner. For cheques over designated amount (currently £25,000) ensure that the cheque is signed by a second signatory.
- Reconciling Conveyancing Completion statements / Bill of Costs with the relevant financial account(s).
- Ensure that all client funds received are deposited with the Practice’s bank at the first opportunity and in accordance with The Law Society’s Solicitors Accounts Rules (SAR’s).
- To maintain a daily work log.
- Preparation and distribution (as appropriate) of:
- Daily end-of-day report(s) and ensure that Financial Statement is balanced.
- Monthly Client to Office transfer report.
- Monthly update of outstanding Disbursements and Costs (Excel).
- To ensure compliance at all times with The Law Society’s Rules for Solicitor’s Accounts.
- Maintaining accurate accounts records and audit trails as required by the Practice Manager and the SARs.
- Any unusual accounting requests (even from Equity Partners) are to be referred to the Practice Manager or in his absence another Equity Partner.
- When appropriate, supervision / assisting junior / relief accounts staff in attaining sufficient expertise in order that she / he may successfully perform absence relief duties.
- To be responsible for the storage / retrieval of the Accounts folders from the Archive store in an orderly manner. Accounts records are to be retained for a minimum of 6 years.
- When appropriate, give guidance to Fee Earners / Support Staff in the Practice’s accounting procedures and the compliance with SARs.
- When appropriate, to attend to Partners / Staff / Clients on the telephone and ensure that telephone calls are dealt with in a professional and friendly manner, if appropriate, that full electronic and/or written telephone notes are taken. Calls relating to any legal aspects are to be referred to the Administration Manager / Practice Manager.
- To ensure the confidentiality and security of all Practice / Client documentation and information.
- To adhere strictly to the Practice’s Health & Safety policy and other requirements relating to care and use of equipment.
- To undertake any specific training when required to do so and overall to have a responsibility towards self-development in line with the Section / Departmental Business Plan.
- In respect of Office Procedures / Personnel, to seek guidance and assistance from Administration Manager / Practice Manager.
- The above list is not intended to be exhaustive, and a large degree of flexibility is expected.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- To have at least 6 months experience in Legal Accounts or 12 months in other Accounting experience or some form of accountancy qualification or training.
- To be competent with the operation of relevant IT facilities including Word, Excel, Outlook. The use of Oyez forms and previous experience of Legal Case Management software is highly desirable but training will be given on the use of the Practice’s database and legal software.
- Presentable and reliable (smart/well groomed and on time).
- Confident and Assertive (not arrogant).
- Mature and receptive.
- To demonstrate a willingness to learn and develop in the role.
- To be able to word-process and be computer literate.
- Self motivated and results driven.
- To have excellent numeracy and spelling skills.
- Responsible and flexible.
- Professional and positive attitude.
Planning and Organisational Attributes
- To demonstrate organisational and time management skills.
- To be able to demonstrate proactivity and attention to detail.
- Makes a positive contribution to setting their own objectives
- Organised and able to prioritise their work.
- To be able to assist in the planning ahead for predictable peaks or holidays, etc.
- Polite, diplomatic, friendly and patient.
- To demonstrate a natural empathy/affinity with staff, clients, counsel, agents and experts and to have a good telephone manner, with a clear diction.
- Good report writing and written communication skills.
- Can communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Deals promptly and sensitively with difficult situations and people.
- Responds to constructive feedback from Section Head /or team members and takes action to address any behaviours causing a problem.
- To demonstrate the ability to ask for assistance, support and guidance when necessary.
- To demonstrate a willingness to help and assist all members of the teams.
Problem Solving and Creativity
- Checks quality of work to avoid unnecessary mistakes.
- Examines cause of problems and suggest solutions on how they can be solved.
- Suggests improvements to standards and working practices.
- Accepts and implements changes to new ideas and working practices.
- To demonstrate an ability to cope with changing levels of workloads.